1-1/2 cups ( 10oz or about 300 gms) all purpose flour
1/2 cup ghee (clarified butter)
1/2 cup water, give or take few tbsp.
salt to taste
Method – for making the dough
- Sift the flour and salt into a medium bowl.
- Now add 1/4 cups of ghee into a hole made in the dough.
- Mix well and gradually add enough water to bind the dough.
- Next knead the dough on a greased counter top for 5-8 minutes.
- It takes time and little muscle, but this step is necessary to make a pliable dough.
- Place it back in the bowl and let it rest for at least 2 hours. This helps the dough to stretch well.
Method 1 – The Professional ( and traditional ) Method – Takes skill
- Take a small ball of the dough.
- With the hands, press it with the hands and lightly stretch it.
- Now start doing as depicted in the video.
Method 2 – Mostly Traditional Method – No skill set required
- Take a small ball from the dough.
- On a very well greased counter top, place the dough and using a rolling pin,roll the dough as much as you can.
- Then slowly using your hands, pull at one end of the dough. You can rest one hand in the middle of the dough and using another hand pull at the ends. Be gentle to avoid the dough getting torn ( not that it really matters that much ). Slowly do this at all the ends, until you can see through the dough.
- Now fold one end of the dough, by bringing the top end to the middle
- Repeat with the bottom end.
- Now bring the right end and then the left.
- Now slowly using your hands, stretch the dough a bit on all the ends.
- In a greased skillet, cook the prata for 1-2 minutes until browned.
- Turn and then repeat.
- The first 2-3 steps are the same. Take a small ball of dough and using a rolling pin roll it as much as you can until they are see through ( same as method 2)
- Now start with the longer end. Start pleating the dough.
- Do this until you reach the end.
- Hold both ends of this dough rope. Slowly twist and turn it in the air, lightly. It will start stretching between your hands. Make it as long as you can.
- Now slowly circle the dough, starting from one end, until you reach the other end. BTW keep your hands greased throughout this process. The dough should not stick anywhere
- Once twisted completely, press it lightly with your hand to make a flatbread.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough as much as you can and to desirable thickness.
- Cook in a skillet greased with ghee for 1-2 minutes until browned.
- Turn and repeat.
- Serve warm.
Source & Step By Step Pictures