4 tablespoons butter, cut into cubes and kept cold
1/4 cup buttermilk, cold
For the filling:
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup sliced mushrooms
2 tablespoons jalapeno pepper, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup diced onions
1/2 cup diced red bell peppers
2 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- In a medium bowl mix together the flour and salt. Add the butter and with your fingers rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles very coarse sand. Add the buttermilk and mix until the dough just comes together. Turn out onto a board and form into a disk. Wrap in plastic and chill for twenty minutes while you prepare the filling.
- In a skillet over medium heat melt the butter until it foams. Add the mushrooms, garlic, jalapeno, onions and bell pepper. Saute, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender. Once tender allow the vegetables to cool slightly.
- In a separate bowl whisk the eggs with the chives. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oven to 400 F and spray a six-cup muffin pan with non-stick spray.
- Once chilled roll out the pastry on a floured surface until it is 1/8″ thick. With a large biscuit cutter, at least 4″, cut six circles with the dough. Press the dough into the prepared muffin tins. Line each crust with a small piece of foil and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional ten minutes, or until the crust is lightly golden.
- Lower the oven temperature to 350 F.
- Divide the cheese among the six crusts, top with the vegetable mixture, then pour over the eggs until they just cover the vegetables. Return to the oven and bake until puffed all over, about 20 minutes. Allow the quiche to rest for five minutes before serving.