1 small onion, sliced
4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch thick slices
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
Freshly ground pepper
7 large eggs
2 Tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley
2 Tablespoons minced chives
2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat a medium saute pan over medium high heat and drizzle with 2 Tablespoons of the canola oil.
- Add the onions and cook until caramelized, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with 1/4 cup of water, scraping any brown bits from the bottom with a wooden spoon.
- Cook until the water evaporates and the onions take on a uniform brown color, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the onions to the roasting pan and toss with the raw sliced potatoes.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter and the remaining 3 Tablespoons of oil. Toss with your hands.
- Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Set the potatoes aside to cool for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the oven heat to 350 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs, herbs and cream together. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium high heat.
- Melt the remaining 2 Tablespoons butter in the skillet, making sure that melted butter greases the side of the cast iron as well.
- Add the cooked potatoes to the pan. Top with the egg mixture.
- Cover the skillet with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for 10 minutes more.
- Slice and serve directly from the skillet, warm or at room temperature